Decision Maker: Policy and Finance
Decision status: For Determination
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: No
The Director of Resources submitted a Report updating Members on the alternative support for household energy bills announced by the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS) in December 2022 and seeking approval of how the Council would assist BEIS in getting essential support to Ribble Valley residents.
Members were reminded that:
· The Government committed to providing support to consumers with their energy costs during the winter via the Energy Bills Support Scheme (EBSS) and the Energy Price Guarantee (EPG)
· The Government support is primarily delivered directly as a credit to electricity bills and as a reduction to the unit cost of electricity and gas.
· Around one million households across the UK would miss out on EBSS as they do not directly contract with an electricity supplier. They would instead qualify for £400 assistance via the Energy Bills Support Scheme Alternative Funding (EBSSAF).
· In addition, the Government had announced the Alternative Fuel Payments (AFP) for households that use fuels other than gas to heat their homes.
· On 6 December 2022 BEIS provided an update to Local Authorities setting out what the Authorities role would be in getting these payments to eligible households.
RESOLVED THAT COMMITTEE:
1. Noted the additional work required to administer these payments for BEIS and to delegate to the Director of Resources to instigate payments once further detail is provided by BEIS.
2. Approved the purchase of the NEC Citizens Access Revenues module to help reduce the administrative burden on the Finance and Revenues teams.
3. Noted that we will have a role in delivering AFP but further detail has not yet been forthcoming.
Report author: Averil Crowther
Publication date: 08/02/2023
Date of decision: 24/01/2023
Decided at meeting: 24/01/2023 - Policy and Finance