Decision Maker: Economic Development
Decision status: For Determination
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: No
The Director of Economic Development and Planning submitted a report presenting members with the draft Economic Plan 2023-2026.
The existing Economic Plan covered the period 2019 - 2022 and work was ongoing to deliver projects identified previously. A workshop with the Ribble Valley Economic Partnership had been held on 12 October 2022, and based on the workshop and analysis, a draft new Economic Plan had been created. A second workshop with the Ribble Valley Economic Partnership was held on 20 February 2023 in order to review the draft plan and ensure it reflected the challenges and issues businesses were facing. The results of the workshops and draft Economic Plan 2023-2026 plan were included in the report.
The plan followed a similar format to the existing Economic Plan and was split into five priority areas:
1. People – Focuses on those actions that will support skills development.
2. Place – Focuses on those actions that recognise and respect the value and character of the Ribble Valley.
3. Business Support – Focuses on those actions that sustain competitiveness and strengthens business networks.
4. Connectivity – Focuses on those actions that will act as the catalyst for better digital and public transport connectivity.
5. Tourism – Focuses on those actions that will promote the development of accommodation, improve hospitality and support events building on the attraction of the local area.
For each priority area the deliverable projects were explained in the report.
There was discussion at the meeting around ensuring villages and smaller areas receive as much focus as towns and larger areas. It was felt that transport links to rural villages and businesses were vital in supporting businesses and also training and employment for individuals. Rail improvements would also be an ongoing focus.
RESOLVED THAT COMMITTEE:
Authorise the Director of Economic Development and Planning to carry out a public consultation for a period of six weeks on the draft Economic Plan.
Publication date: 15/06/2023
Date of decision: 15/06/2023
Decided at meeting: 15/06/2023 - Economic Development