Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: No
The Chief Executive submitted a report seeking for Committee to review and agree the new points based system used for selecting traders/businesses for market cabins when they become vacant.
It had previously been agreed at a meeting of this Committee on 23 March 2023 that the market cabin waiting list would be retired and that Council officers would manage the vacant cabins as they saw fit, with the suggestion of a points-based system for future applications.
The Head of Environmental Health advised that a points-based system had been designed which takes into account the following:
· Whether the trader/business is a like for like replacement
· The uniqueness of the business/trade
· The locality of the business/trader
· Whether the infrastructure is essential to the business operation
· Employment of local residents
· Whether the trader/business has operated on the market for over one year.
He then updated Members on the successful use of the system to select a trader for a cabin that had become vacant in October 2023.
Some concerns were raised as to the length of time taken for traders to take occupation of a vacant cabin and it was agreed that time limits should be imposed, unless there was a valid reason given for a delay.
There was further discussion regarding the justification for awarding more points to a business that was like for like with the previous vacated cabin business. Ultimately it was felt that there should remain a level of discretion for Council officers.
RESOLVED THAT COMMITTEE:
Approve the points-based system used for selecting traders for market cabins, which is to include the following:
· The Council will retain an element of discretion in terms of awarding points for an applicant’s business type.
· From the time of a cabin being offered to a trader, there will be a time limit of 2 weeks, unless a good reason is provided, for them to take occupation of the stall.
Report author: Andrew Dent
Publication date: 01/02/2024
Date of decision: 18/01/2024
Decided at meeting: 18/01/2024 - Health and Housing