Agenda and draft minutes

Community Services - Wednesday, 9th March, 2022 6.30 pm

Venue: Council Chamber, 13 Church Street, Clitheroe, BB7 2DD

Contact: Olwen Heap 01200 414408  Email: olwen.heap@ribblevalley.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

703.

Apologies for absence

Minutes:

 Apologies for the meeting were received from Councillors J Alcock and S Rainford.

704.

To approve the minutes of the previous meeting pdf icon PDF 239 KB

Minutes:

The minutes of the meeting held on 11 January 2022 were approved as a correct record and signed by the Chairman.

705.

Declarations of disclosable pecuniary, other registrable and non-registrable interests

Members are reminded of their responsibility to declare any disclosable pecuniary, other registrable or non-registrable interest in respect of matters contained in the agenda.

 

Minutes:

There were no declarations of disclosable pecuniary, other registrable and non-registrable interests.

706.

Public participation

Minutes:

The Chairman welcomed Gail Barton, Vice Chair of the Clitheroe Town Wells Conservation Campaign Group to speak on agenda item 5 – Clitheroe Town Wells.

707.

Clitheroe Town Wells pdf icon PDF 206 KB

Report of Director of Community Services enclosed.

Minutes:

The Director of Community Services submitted a report regarding the petition presented to Council on 12 October 2021 from the Town Wells group requesting  further consideration on the ownership of Heild and St Mary’s wells taking into account both new and existing evidence of the legal position.

 

The Head of Legal and Democratic Services reported that having considered all legal bases on which ownership could consequently arise, the Council had not changed it’s previous view that there was no evidence of ownership by previous authorities that would have transferred to Ribble Valley Borough Council, or sufficient evidence for the Council to assert that it had taken ownership of the wells.

 

On considering the economic, community, heritage and tourism benefits of adopting the wells, it was suggested that as Stock well was in the ownership of the Borough Council that a survey should be procured, and any necessary and appropriate works could be done as on any other Council asset. Also, that the Council would work with the Wells group to develop tourism information to promote the wells.

 

Members discussed the issues of ownership of Heild and St Mary’s wells in some detail and concluded that the Council was not in a position to do this, but that the issue was more about looking after them as heritage assets and using them to attract tourism to the town. Town Council members indicated that the Town Council might be in a position to look at ownership again with the help of officers.

 

Councillor Berryman was given permission to speak on this item.

 

RESOLVED THAT COMMITTEE:

 

1.    Authorise the Director of Community Services to procure a heritage survey of the condition of all three wells and to ensure any necessary works are carried out to Stock well to ensure the heritage assets;

 

2.    Authorise the Director of Community Services to work with local community groups and the Conservation Officer to develop the tourism potential of Stocks, Heild and St Mary’s Wells, and

 

3.    Authorise officers to work with Clitheroe Town Council in investigating the ownership of the wells from their perspective.

 

(Councillor D O’Rourke left the meeting)

708.

Recreation, Cultural, Arts Development and Sporting and Arts Excellence Grants pdf icon PDF 142 KB

Report of Director of Community Services enclosed.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Director of Community Services submitted a report outlining the recommendations of the working group in relation to the allocation of grants under recreation/culture/arts development, and individual sporting and arts excellence grants.

 

The working group had met to discuss the applications and consideration was given to each one. After much deliberation and taking into account the limited resources available, they had arrived at the recommendations made to committee.

 

RESOLVED THAT COMMITTEE:

 

Endorse the recommendations of the working group as outlined in the appendices to the report with the addition of an Arts Development grant for RV Jazz and Blues Festival of £1000.

709.

Longridge Pump Track pdf icon PDF 554 KB

Report of Director of Community Services enclosed.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Director of Community Services submitted a report regarding the lease of land to build a cycling pump track on Kestor Lane, Longridge.

 

The report outlined the details of the track, location, and how the principle of a lease was required for external funding to be sought.

 

Members were reminded that the Kestor Lane site was a Fields in Trust site, and consultation would therefore need to take place and approval sought for any development. The open space there was also used as an informal recreation space for the town and as a venue for fun fairs and circuses as well as the annual Field Day.

 

The scheme had considerable merit in the provision of a new facility in Longridge, that would benefit helping people become more active, as well as potentially helping to minimise antisocial behaviour in the town.

 

Members discussed the request, and although they were impressed with the idea of the track, felt wary about entering into a long lease with a third party on this important community asset. The choice of site was also questioned.

 

Councillor Berryman was given permission to speak on this item.

 

RESOLVED THAT COMMITTEE:

 

Defer a decision on this request until there is an understanding on how the lease will work for this important community asset.

 

(Councillor Berryman left the meeting)

710.

Revenue Monitoring 2021-22 pdf icon PDF 138 KB

Report of Director of Resources enclosed.

Minutes:

The Director of Resources submitted a report for information on the position for the period April to January 2022 of this year’s revenue budget for this committee.

 

The comparison between actual and budgeted expenditure shows an underspend of £128,284 for the first ten months of the financial year 2021/22. After for allowing for transfers to/from earmarked reserves the underspend was £116,270.

711.

Capital Programme 2022-23 pdf icon PDF 407 KB

Report of Director of Resources enclosed.

Minutes:

The Director of Resources submitted a report informing members of the schemes approved for inclusion in this committee’s 2022/23 capital programme.

 

This committee had an approved 2022/23 capital programme of £2,280,500 for fifteen schemes.

 

The Clitheroe Town Centre Car Park scheme was included in the capital programme on the basis that a feasibility study was undertaken to prove the need for additional car parking spaces, and that this be reported to Policy and Finance committee for further consideration before the capital scheme and any associated expenditure can go ahead.

 

Any slippage on schemes in the 2021/22 capital programme would be reported to this committee at future meetings.

712.

DEFRA consultations pdf icon PDF 144 KB

Report of Director of Community Services enclosed.

Minutes:

The Director of Community Services submitted a report for information on two major consultations open for comment until 15 April 2022.

 

One was a UK wide consultation on the introduction of mandatory digital waste tracking and the other on the reform of the waste carrier, broker, dealer registration in England. Subject to the results of the consultations, it was anticipated that the newly proposed digital waste tracking service, and the proposed CBD reform would be implemented in 2023/24.

713.

Reports from Representatives on Outside Bodies

None.

Minutes:

There were no reports from representatives on outside bodies.

714.

Exclusion of Press and Public

Minutes:

RESOLVED:

 

That by virtue of the next items of business being exempt information under paragraphs 2 and 3 of Part 1 of Schedule 12A of the Local Government Act 1972 the press and public be now excluded from the meeting.

 

715.

Sweeper Hire Contract

Report of Director of Community Services enclosed.

Minutes:

The Director of Community Services submitted a report seeking committee’s views on the future of mechanical sweeping elements of the Amenity Cleansing service.

 

Members were reminded that the Council does not have a statutory duty to sweep the streets but exercises its powers to offer the service to maintain amenity standards in the area. The local highways authority (LCC) has the duty to undertake sweeping and other clearance of the highway to maintain safety standards for highway users. Some of this work was undertaken by the Borough on behalf of LCC for an annual payment for the service.

 

The current contract with the supplier of large mechanical sweepers expires on 31 March 2022 and as such tenders split into three lots had been sought. The tenders received back were unaffordable so only Lot 1 had been accepted and further prices were being sought along with an increased sum from LCC for the work carried out on their behalf.

 

RESOLVED THAT COMMITTEE:

 

Authorise the Director of Community Services to negotiate with LCC to reach an acceptable agreement on the delivery of services.

 

 

716.

Ribblesdale Pool

Report of Director of Community Services enclosed.

Minutes:

The Director of Community Services submitted a report for information providing committee with an update on the challenges being faced in delivering the pool operation at Ribblesdale Pool.